It doesn't matter what year or decade it is, it is time for everyone to be aware of their impact on their community. Including us. Whether it's our packaging, shipping policies or who we work with, we want to be transparent about our processes because at Craftmix our minimizing our footprint on the Earth is essential.
Besides giving you a great Happy Hour, Anywhere, we're trying to minimize food and plastic waste. According to the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), approximately 30-40% of our world's food supply is wasted every year. The USDA did some research back in 2010 and discovered that approximately 133 billion pounds of food and $161 billion worth of food were wasted. Yes. Billion. That's insane!! What's worse is that food waste is in the single largest component going into municipal land fills which is a large contributor to methane gas. Quick reminder, methane gas is one of the greenhouse gases that causes global warming. While there is less methane in our atmosphere, it is about 28% more toxic to our environment than CO2.
When you buy Craftmix you are not buying food or ingredients that will get thrown out or wasted. Therefore, by drinking Craftmix you are helping to reduce food waste and greenhouse gases. We maximize food efficiency by operating at 0-waste. All parts of the fruits we use to make our mixes go into powders that make up our mixes. Not just the juice, not just the pulp, not just the peel. Everything! And not just the perfect store-ready fruits, even the deformed and ugly ones that usually get rejected from stores too :) Now that's a decision you can feel good about!
We know we can't solve the global issue of food efficiency alone, but want to lead the trend by educating our customers and promoting this mission to the world. By continuously improve and maximizing the efficiency of food technology, we can create a more sustainable and less-wasting society, especially when it comes to food.
In addition to minimizing food waste, we also want to decrease plastic waste. According to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), 26.8 million tons of plastic went into landfills in 2017. Plastic from bottles (like those big bottled mixers). By buying Craftmix you are actively choosing not to buy something that will eventually end up in a landfill. Minimizing food waste, plastic waste AND having a great drink with recyclable packaging? That sounds like a win-win-win to us!
Here's a list of some other things that we're currently doing to have a positive impact on our community:
- Our boxes are recyclable and biodegradable
- We use efficient packaging which means our products are lightweight and take up less space on shipping trucks
- Speaking of trucks, that's our primary shipping method because it's much more fuel efficient than Earth than airplanes
- Our product minimizes food waste by eliminating those half used limes that inevitably go bad because you forgot about them
- Our product also minimizes plastic waste by replacing those plastic bottle mixers that you'd buy but never finish
- Everything is produced and packaged locally in beautiful Southern California which means minimal shipping between facilities (and we always use ground!)
- Future packaging will be made entirely from recycled materials, hopefully compostable or biodegradable ones.
- We'll be implementing Carbon Check Out our on website so you can donate directly to offsetting emissions with your order
- Recycle both boxes after use
- Choose a slower shipping method which allow us to ship it as green as possible
- Tell us how you think we can improve our sustainability practices